2018: Three Big Scary Things

As the year draws a close ("Auld Lang Syne" is playing on my TV as I write this), I find myself reflecting on the big moments. Three stand out to me, not just because they were big but because they also forced me to face my fears.

1. Cuba.

 

 


I spent two weeks in Cuba as part of a summer program for teachers through the Stone Institute at Tulane University. The travel wasn't the scary part--it was being with a group of people I had never met. However, I was blessed with a roommate that got me and developed other friendships. By not letting my nervousness about meeting lots of new people get in my way, I got to experience Cuban culture from a different perspective than most tourists. I listened to lectures from a former diplomat, current teachers, women involved in the literacy program from the beginning of the Revolution, and a rap duo. I toured old Havana, a top art museum, a farm run by Hershey's company, Che's burial site, and the UNESCO city of Trinidad. I swam in the Caribbean, lounged in a river, and snorkled in a gorgeous lagoon. I walked away with so many new memories that will continue to make an impact in my classroom in the new year.

2. The 4-Hour Marathon.


Last year I ran two marathons in an attempt to break the four-hour mark at the marathon distance, and both times that achievement eluded me. I was hesitant to try again. Months of training requires discipline and takes a lot out of the body with no guarantee of the desired result (as I had learned painfully two times in less than a month). However, with some encouragement from my sister and alongside running friends, I pushed through the training, fitting the workouts in around teaching and coaching. When the big weekend arrived, I flew to DC on my own where race morning found me not making the start on time and missing the pace group. The first 5K went slowly than wanted, leaving me three minutes off my pace by the end of three miles. With no pacer to guide me, I felt like throwing in the towel on my goal right then, but my stubborn attitude refused to give up. Relying on math and grit, I regained the lost time as we ran through the DC area. That same determination served me well in the final mile and a half when my watch died and my calves cramped, but I refused to walk. Official time: 3:59:14.

3. Self-Publishing.


I have been writing my whole life. It is a part of me as much as my love of reading and travel. However, I have usually allowed my fears of not being good enough keep me from sharing. I promised myself that 2018 would be different and thanks to the Amazon Kindle, it was. In February I self-published a book that I had started in 2013. It has been a huge learning process, but I didn't go into this with the goal to make lots of money. I finish the year knowing that over 100 copies of my novel have made their way into the world and that I have also been able to donate a small amount back to an organization making a difference.


All three of these journeys scared me along the way, but I was never alone on any of them. I am so grateful for the support of family and friends who are family. So here's to 2019!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything AND the Kitchen Sink

Throwback Thursday: Spelling Bee Memories

Children's Books in April