Everything AND the Kitchen Sink

I first heard of Stomp years ago but attending a performance was one of those secondary bucket list items. You know, the activities that sound neat and you'll do them if the opportunity comes up but you won't go out of your way to make it happen?

Two weeks ago I had the opportunity to see Stomp at a theater in DC with an acquaintance, and I have to say that this is a show that needs to be on the bucket list of anyone interested in musical performance. For those of you unfamiliar with this group, they are percussionists who utilize anything but drums pretty much to create music.
Our show started with a solo performer pushing a broom across the floor, but soon the stage filled with seven performers each wielding a broom in a series of charged movements. This number was only the first to amaze me with the athleticism of the cast. (I seriously found myself wondering how their legs were able to endure the beatings they took night after night without anyone suffering from shin splints.)
I had expected the use of garbage or paint cans but not grocery carts, water bottles, lighters, street signs, oversized inflatable tubes, newspapers, and kitchen sinks filled with water. I also did not expect the storylines behind many of the numbers. I found myself laughing multiple times especially at the antics of one character.
Stomp is truly an original and unforgettable show.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback Thursday: Spelling Bee Memories

November Books Wrap-Up