November Books Wrap-Up

How did your November reading go? I finished four novels (one as an audiobook).



My favorite one was the audiobook and happened to my book club's choice for the month which means I never would have picked this one up on my own. It is my favorite because the author did such a good job with her research but the book itself was gut-wrenching. Placed in the 1920's and 30's, Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore traces the struggle faced by the women who worked for the radium companies to have their health problems diagnosed and then compensated as the ugly truth surfaced that they had become sick through their jobs. I was amazed to learn how radium had been considered healthy enough to add to their water, paint on their faces, and put in sandboxes. With this public perception, it was not surprising that it took doctors so long to pinpoint the source of the women's problems, but the companies' avoidance of their responsibility and even attempts to hide the dangers of radium--because they discovered that there were risks but still did not release this information--was horrifying. The women were so inspiring in their fight. I admired one woman named Grace the most. She did not take no for an answer despite lawyer after lawyer refusing to take on their case. It was heartbreaking, all the dreams that never came to be, but  the "Shining Girls" helped pave the way to today's workplace safety standards.



My next favorite book also included some death but was far more light-hearted: A Lady's Guide to Eitquette and Murder by Dianne Freeman. This book follows an American widow in England who tries to strike out from her deceased husband's family but hits complications that include robberies among London's elite, preparing her sister for the season, and being accused of involvement in her husband's death. While I did predict the ending, I still enjoyed the book.

When I saw that Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova contained elements of Hispanic culture and Dia de los Muertos, I was excited to read it. However, I found the romance(s) disappointing and the climax did not captivate me. Also, I am irked that plot points are left hanging, basically requiring a read of the sequel. I think I've learned that I am more of reader who enjoys multiple stories about the same characters but not multiple books about the same story--does that make sense?  (Although I greatly enjoyed Richelle Mead's Bloodlines series and those books most certainly left me with cliff-hangers).


I also read Avalanche by Gayla K. Hiss. I love that it took place in a national park but would have enjoyed more details about the park. I also felt that some parts of the story felt more contrived than natural.

Have you read any of these authors?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything AND the Kitchen Sink

Throwback Thursday: Spelling Bee Memories

Children's Books in April