National Park Detour in Michigan

"Remember the Alamo!" A well-known battle cry from the mid-1800's that conjures up feelings of patriotism and a desire to honor and avenge the struck-down defenders of the Texan fort.

However, before the Alamo, a young America had rallied behind a different battle cry: "Remember the Raisin!"

Remember the Raisin? What? A fruit?

As I drove up I-75 to Detroit this weekend I saw the brown sign advertising a national park system site: the River Raisin National Battlefield Park. I had never heard of this battle so in between watching sessions at the US Figure Skating National Championships, I pulled some info up on my tablet and discovered that yes, the park was open. I grinned as I added a short detour into my drive home the next day.

Sunday morning brought with it several inches of snow on the ground and frigid temperatures (although the next week was going to be even colder). Not the best conditions for exploring a battlefield that has two walking trails but the Visitor Center gave a solid explanation of the battle. The short story? In the War of 1812 Detroit fell to the British and their Native American allies. A militia mainly from Kentucky marched north to liberate the city. About thirty-five miles south of Detriot they successfully drove off the British--for about a week. The redcoats and their allies returned and beat the Americans horribly--only 33 men will escape death or capture. While the defeat was demoralizing, the next morning would prove even more horrific when some Native Americans return to take revenge for hostile aggressions taken earlier by the Americans against their people. Wounded prisoners would be slaughtered, and this act lead to the cry of "Remember the Raisin!"

There was also a small exhibit on the Native American tribes in the area and what happened to them in the decades following this battle. Americans did not forget the slaughter after this battle and this negative perspective of Native Americans would play a significant part in the passage of the Indian Removal Act and the horror of the Trail of Tears.

The park ranger here was very knowledgeable of the context of the battle and its repercussions. There were only two other guests in the Visitor Center while I was there, so I was able to talk with the ranger for several minutes. I did not opt to watch the 15-minute video, but I did get my stamp for my passport book.

Back outside I moved my car to a short distance and walked about one hundred feet on one of the two walking trails until the cold chased me back to my vehicle. In nicer weather the trails will give a stronger perspective on which actions occurred in this park especially with the historical markers. There is also a driving guide for purchase in the Visitor's Center since there are some other important sites to see including Hull's Trace where part of a road from that time period has been discovered.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything AND the Kitchen Sink

Throwback Thursday: Spelling Bee Memories

November Books Wrap-Up