January Books


The Chase was my first book of the new year, and it was a great way to start the reading list. The characters may not be the most-fully developed ones you've encountered, but they have their own personalities. They are fun, and I wanted to keep reading to see what would happen to them next. The action also kept pulling me along! I found the crimes creative (and could push aside that other voice that muttered about the plausibility of the schemes working out). I would definitely pick up the next book in the Fox and Hare series.



The Accidental Beauty Queen by Teri Wilson was another favorite of the month. (I think I needed something fun.) When I was reading this book, I said to my mom that I was enjoying it but that I couldn't see how it could have a realistically satisfying ending. I'm not going to go into detail to avoid spoilers, but the ending left me with a positive feeling towards the book. I also adored the puppy. I recommend this book for a light read, would be a great poolside book if you took a winter trip to the Florida setting.

Ten Things I Love About You by Julia Quinn was a simple romance read. Nothing heavy to think about which is nice for a book being read before bed. I liked Annabel and Sebastian, but I felt that the last third or so of the book was too long. The prose could have been thinned down without losing any of the story. I still enjoyed this book but not as much as the ones in the Bridgerton series.

Dead Drift by Dani Pettrey is the conclusion to her Chesapeake Valor series. Unlike my introduction series to this author (Alaskan Courage), the books in this series relied a lot more upon reading the previous books to understand what was going on and who everyone was. While I enjoyed the series wrap-up, I recommend to read these four books in close succession. I also had a hard time with a few deaths in the book--this is a personal struggle I have sometimes with stories, and this book dealt with terrorism so I can see why they were necessary.


Maid of Murder by Amanda Flower was my first book by that author, and I looked forward to reading a book from my home state of Ohio. I have to admit, I was disappointed. I didn't find the characters that engaging. They were quirky, but they annoyed me at times especially when they seemed to be acting very self-centered. It took me awhile to figure out who the murderer was, but I did manage it shortly before the reveal. The end of the story felt rushed to me. I also felt let down by a romance that was hinted at but not at all developed. This book is the first in a series though so maybe that will grow in the next book. However, while I plan on giving the author another chance, I don't think it will be in the India Hayes series.

Good Luck is a short book with a mix of sayings related to luck and explanations of superstitions related to luck. I think it would be a nice addition to a high school English classroom library especially for reluctant readers.

What were some of your top reads from January?

P.S. If you are looking for romance reads for February, check out these ebook downloads (free with a sign up to each author's newsletters). I have a short story up there too: Mill Creek Wedding Run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything AND the Kitchen Sink

Throwback Thursday: Spelling Bee Memories

Being Refined