Throwback Thursday: Spelling Bee Memories

I love words. I'm guessing that confession isn't too much of a surprise since I am a writer :)
Today ESPN is televising the final rounds of the Scripps National Spelling Bee and with it also being my first day of summer break, I'm splitting my attention between chores and the competition. These kids have amazing skills. It is fascinating to watch them break the words down with clues related to definitions, origins, and alternate pronunciations.

My own spelling bee experiences never went more complicated than maybe asking for the word to be used in a sentence or else repeated. I did manage to earn runner-up in the county spelling bee as an eighth-grader--I spelled triphibious right but missed metropolitan. The fat dictionary I won for that achievement still sits on the desk in my spare bedroom. Those moments up on stage were

Here is a list of words that caught my attention for various reasons. Which ones do you want to use in conversation this week?

abrazo: I teach this word (hug) in Spanish II so I got it right!!

caducous: falling off easily or before the usual time

vibratiuncle: a slight periodic movement or vibration

tessellar: formed of or resembling small pieces (as of marble, glass, or tile) cut usually with a square or rectangular face and used in mosaic work

aichmophobia: morbid fear of sharp things such as pencils, needles, knives, a pointing finger, or even the sharp end of an umbrella

bombycine: of or relating to silkworms

pervenche: a grayish, purplish, blue

Want to know more? Check out the bee's official website!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything AND the Kitchen Sink

Children's Books in April