Voting Reflection

We had primaries in my part of the world today. This is a much smaller election with only one issue on my ballot and a similar situation in the county to the south of me. I almost skipped going especially after a full day of work.
I didn't though. I drove beyond my house to a new polling place--I feel like I've been moved at least three times even though I haven't changed addresses in the last eight years--and had to try more than one building at the new site before finding the correct location. I handed over my driver's license, received my ballot, and then made my single choice. All in all, a mundane moment.
It got me thinking though. I don't write books where politics play an obvious role. My characters don't discuss their political affiliations and I don't address the hot topics in our government. I don't see that changing for me, but I feel as my backlist grows, the issue of voting should at least appear even if it is as simple as the characters mentioning that today was election day or showing off their voting sticker. I do believe that the right to vote is a hugely important one and should be visible.

How do you address the concept of elections in your stories?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback Thursday: Spelling Bee Memories

Everything AND the Kitchen Sink

November Books Wrap-Up