Five-Star Friday: Alma and How She Got Her Name

Sometimes I read a book and it's just so good that I want to give it more attention than adding it in to a monthly wrap-up of reads. This Caldecott Honor Book is one of those stories.



As a Spanish teacher, I am always keeping my eyes open for any literature that connects to my classroom; Spanish, English, bilingual, I simply want more good options for my students to connect them to the language and culture. When I saw this book at the library, I knew I had to evaluate it and today while my Spanish IV students read their own free-reading choices, I opened the book up.

I had expected a basic story that explained the traditional Hispanic naming pattern of two last names, but I was immediately endeared to spunky Alma who found her string of given names too long. However, as her father explained the family connection to each name, the little girl beamed with discovery of similarities to her relatives. I loved this! The message of the importance of family came through clearly without feeling heavy-handed. Plus, the illustrations tied in multiple cultural references along with hints of written Spanish. Additionally, the family's background was Peru, a country that I talk about with my Spanish II students but doesn't receive as much attention in available products. The author's early years in Peru add an authentic aspect to the story.

I wholeheartedly recommend adding this book to an elementary classroom shelf and also middle school social studies and any Spanish classroom that is open to English works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything AND the Kitchen Sink

Throwback Thursday: Spelling Bee Memories

Children's Books in April