Children's Books: January


 Alma and How She Got Her Name by Juana Martinez-Neal was my favorite children's book read for the month of January. As my blog entry for it says, this story was so much more than I expected, and I highly recommend checking it out.


I really appreciated the honest, strong message in When I Was Eight by Christy Jordan-Fenton. This book is a very respectful introduction to what some indigenous children in Canada faced, a story that was paralleled in some places in the United States as well.


Little Pea by Amy Rosenthal was a four-star read for me. It was just so cute! How many parents (aunts, uncles, babysitters) can relate to a young kid not wanting to eat their vegetables? Well, this tale turns that idea upside-down: Little Pea desperately wants to get to eat his dessert of vegetables but first he has to face eating sweets for dinner. I also love the clean, minimalist drawings of the book.


After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back Up Again by Dan Santat was another four-star read. I'm always curious about sequels to well-known children's tales, and I loved the realistic take at the beginning of this one. Having difficulty going back to "regular life" after a traumatic experience is something that would resonate with young readers who have also faced far more difficult times than they should at their age. I think it's awesome that this book normalizes that feeling.

The Night of Las Posadas by Tomie dePaola and Uno, Dos, Tres, Posada! by Virginia Kroll were after-Christmas reads that I would love to add to my Spanish classroom. They both addressed elements of Hispanic Navidad celebrations although I preferred The Night of Las Posadas (I have yet to be disappointed by a book from this author).
  

Pablo in the Snow by Teri Sloat was a cute three-star read about a little sheep who goes on a wintry adventure.

Looks Out Kindergarten, Here I Come/Preparate kindergarten! Alla voy! by Nancy Carlson was a donation to my classroom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything AND the Kitchen Sink

Throwback Thursday: Spelling Bee Memories

Children's Books in April