Three April Reads

What did you read in April? I will be honest, I have not read as much during this quarantine/stay-at-home period as I originally anticipated. Still working full-time is part of that, I suppose. However, I did get several books read in April, and here are three of the ones I enjoyed more.

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens was my book club's choice for April. Although that meeting has been pushed back to June now, I'm really glad I had the chance to read this novel. The author did a great job of sliding between the two timelines. Sometimes it was frustrating to get pulled away from one timeline just as new information was revealed or deeper connections were beginning to build, but that's one way of knowing you're becoming invested in the story. I will say that I did not connect personally to the main character Kya, but for this book that worked. Normally if I can't relate to the main character in some way, I don't care as much what happens to them. Kya's character was separate from other people but I still rooted for her to find her place in the world and to have that sense of belonging that she was seeking. A big win to the author for creating that desire in me the reader while never losing Kya's uniqueness.

Playing the Part by Sally Rose is an adorable, romance read that just fully released on Amazon this week! I actually received an electronic copy of the book as an ARC but my review is completely voluntary and my own opinion. First of all, this book has a gorgeous cover. Even though my life does not resemble the main characters, I found Olivia relatable, definitely someone it would be neat to know in real life. Her grandmother and the grandmother's friend were also fun characters! The male protagonist Noah also felt down-to-earth despite being a movie star. I was drawn into their love story and hoped for their match to become more than just a matter of convenience but something real that they had worked for. The biggest drawback for me was the repetition of the phrase "pumped his/her eyebrows." It's unfamiliar description to me and it popped up quite a few times, enough that it pulled me away from the story line.

Underground Worlds by David Farley was my favorite non-fiction read for the month. I may not be able to travel right now, but that doesn't stop me from reading about fantastic destinations! This book provided a great introduction to subterranean locales around the world--every continent except Antarctica was represented. The photographs were well-done although left me wanting to see more. The variety was incredible: millennia-old cave art, hidden Buddhist temples, rooms for planning war strategy, amusement rides inside a salt cave, subway tunnels, the list goes on. It was a delight to recognize some places from previous knowledge (a special thrill to turn the page and see the Terra-Cotta warriors that I actually visited back in 2017) but many were new to me. The Pool of Arches in Israel and Basilica Cistern in Turkey definitely intrigued me. As for places in the US, I would love to experience the Mega Cavern in Kentucky and Strataca Salt Cave in Kansas.



Which one of these books would you like to add to your May reading list?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything AND the Kitchen Sink

Throwback Thursday: Spelling Bee Memories

Children's Books in April