December Books

Three novels read in the month of December!



The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie was a smooth read and probably my favorite of the month. The characters were not overly developed but I read Christie for the plot, the mystery. As usual, I didn't guess the murderer, but it is always fun to see how the events tie together once the puzzle is laid out. The book also brought up the issue of mental illness and PTSD long before it was talked about in mainstream conversation which I found interesting.

The Cost of Betrayal was a set of novellas by Dee Henderson, Dani Pettrey, and Lynette Eason. While I enjoyed these reads, I did not feel that they were of the same caliber as the full-length novels I have read by the first two writers. Reflecting a few days after wrapping up the book, I think my favorite novella ended up being "Betrayal" by Dee Henderson. I feel as though the blurb was a little misleading but the story was interesting. In both "Deadly Isle" by Dani Pettrey and "Code of Ethics" by Lynette Eason, there were pieces that didn't seem to line up logically. I liked the main characters in the stories, just found some of their moves confusing. (I still love the settings of Pettrey's stories.)

My last book of the year was Beyond Justice by Cara Putnam. I appreciated that this was Christian fiction that didn't slam religion over the reader's head. I am a fan of the subtle approach to faith in stories. However, I did not enjoy the book as much as I had hoped. Maybe it was because I don't have much a legal background, but I had trouble following some of the court jargon. I also was confused with the actions of some of the characters especially Emilie and her article. There were times that I thought people knew a piece of information but they acted contrary that knowledge. I will probably give the author another try but I am not in a rush to pick up the next book in this series (I will say that I appreciate the story line being tied up in this book instead of a cliffhanger.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything AND the Kitchen Sink

Throwback Thursday: Spelling Bee Memories

Children's Books in April